[Alberg30] backing plate

Dave Terrell DTERRELL at message.nmc.edu
Tue Mar 25 13:12:03 PST 2003

Thanks. What I see in our marina is a very short projection or no
projection beyond the stemhead fitting. I am leaning toward minimal
projection for the reasons sited in one of the other e-mails. I think
that this is what I am seeing in the sailing magazines when I look at
pictures of new boats with anchor rollers. A current review of a Hunter
says that its projecting anchor roller should to well in normal
conditions. I think the implication of this judgment is that it might
not do so well in the 60 kts you plan for and probably because of the
way it would project beyond the stemhead fitting. Your plan strikes me
as much better than Hunter's but it does suggest an area for caution.

We are going to have Spring Break next week and I plan to start looking
at my project and will share anything I come up with.

I really appreciate the way you have shared - and the way others share
- so generously on this web site.

Thanks again.

David - # 432 - Talisman.

>>> jay at saildriver.com 03/25/03 03:08PM >>>

Dave,
I don't have the plans with me at the moment, but I believe that the
overhang at the centerline of the boat is 5" to 8". I kept it as short
as practical to maximise strength. It had to be at least this long to
keep the furling drum clear of the Windline URM-1. At the point where
the oak platform crosses the stem fitting, it is greatly strengthened by
the URM-1 being bolted to it. In effect, I have a 1/4" stainless
C-channel which reinforces the 1 1/2" white oak. It isn't unbreakable,
but given the short overhang and inherent strength of the design, I
believe that the anchor or rode would fail long before the platform
will. The URM-1 by itself was designed for boats up to 55' long.
Jay
 Dave Terrell <DTERRELL at message.nmc.edu> wrote:Thank you for the
excellent detailed description of the system you are
constructing. I have one question - how far does the oak platform
project beyond the stemhead fitting?

>>> jay at saildriver.com 03/24/03 05:33PM >>>

Dave,

I like to anchor out, and I normally do it a lot. Although
Revolution.....