[Alberg30] Do-it-yourself Paint or Not

dan at pinson.us dan at pinson.us
Mon Mar 31 19:06:42 PST 2003

This is in response to the thread started by Yves Parenteau "hairlines in
cockpit". I've seen many other discussions on roll-and-tip vs. spray,
do-it-yourself vs. hire. Following is my experience with a little twist that
I had never seen mentioned but is really fairly obvious.

This past summer was dedicated to repainting my boat: bottom and topside. I
heartily recommend Don Casey's book as has been mentioned many times along
with his encouragement that we (the owners) can do about anything the pros
can.

With that encouragement I undertook the project. It was my first paint job.
For various reasons it dragged on longer than I anticipated. The bottom was
finished as I did final sanding on the topside. I was taking time off
without pay (yes, I was the summer joke at the boatyard) and duty called at
my real job. One day the head painter came by. He'd been thinking on my
situation. The short of it was that he could spray-paint my boat with a
commercial paint that they purchased by barrel for about the same price that
I could purchase a top quality paint and roll it on. In response to my
surprise that he could do that, he said that most of the cost of painting is
in the prep work.

I completed the prep work including masking and let him paint it. I was
extremely pleased with the work and the cost was as quoted (don't have exact
figures here). Time will tell on the paint quality. As this was a
well-respected yard in the Pacific NW, I'm optimistic.

Bottom-line is I think there are options other than doing it all yourself or
paying someone thousands of dollars to do it. Depends on your time, desires
and capabilities. In my case, I could have spent some more time and finished
the job. However, duty called, rain prevented my painting, my boat was an
hour drive from home etc., etc.

Best regards,
Dan

#78 Dulcinea