[Alberg30] Rudder Repair

Hansen, Richard D LTC Student Richard.Hansen at carlisle.army.mil
Wed May 28 17:54:37 PDT 2003

My rudder on #235 has several exposed longitudinal and latitudinal wood and
metal "ribs."
I sanded the bottom paint off which exposed gaps and cracks and in some
cases the ribs.  Suggestions on repairs to:
1. The longitudinal wooded piece almost vertical at bottom aft of rudder is
loose and wants to come out of its slot in the glass.  Can I just repair
with resin and fabric?
2. The latitudinal ribs at top of rudder are medal and appear coated with
some plastic gray substance that wants to flake off of metal ribs.  Can I
resin/fabic those or do I need someother filler putty or bondo?
3. Should the glass of the rudder surround the forward exposed metal edge of
the rudder up near the bottom side of the deck?