[Alberg30] winch grease

Brian and Elaine Timmins timmins at optonline.net
Fri May 9 14:05:15 PDT 2003

> > Is there any reason I should not grease my winches with regular old
> > wheel bearing grease?

Are you referring to the old Merriman (I think) bronze winches? If so, I
believe they are supposed to be oiled not greased. OTOH.... I have used the
water pump grease in the past. With a heavy grease, you have to coat all the
surfaces and then wipe all but the thinnest film off. You should just barely
be able to see grease (I mean microns not fractions). If you leave too heavy
a build up, the pawls WILL stick.
Brian   ex#497