[Alberg30] winch grease

Scott Wallace tristan at one.net
Sat May 10 15:56:53 PDT 2003

The most important thing to remember is to annually clean, inspect and
lube, more often if your sailing season, environment and use demand it.
All bearings, whether ball or roller, need a grease - use what the
manufacturer recommends, if you know it.  Springs just need a cleaning and
light oil coat to deter rust and corrosion.  Pawls also need lube, usually
a lighter grease...a good trick I saw in a magazine was to cut the bottom
out of a cardboard box, just the exact diameter of the winch at the base,
then stick it over the winch while you remove the drum...this way, if pawls
and springs fly, they will hopefully fly into the box.  Remember to
carefully remove them BEFORE you pull the box back up, or they could fall
down through the hole into the deep blue sea!

Thanks,

Scott