[Alberg30] Anyone own a Mast Mate?

Christos Katehis GreekSailor at worldnet.att.net
Fri May 16 05:55:34 PDT 2003

Bill,

I have no experience with "mast mate". I have heard that many people have
difficulties with the ATN system. If you are not in great shape or otherwise
out of 100% physical capacity,  I can see there would be difficulty with the
ATN system. I weigh 220lbs on a good day and my 110lb girlfriend cannot
hoist me either.

So I had some thinking to do and came up with a safe and easy system. It's
not cheap but it works just great. We both can go up the mast as many times
in 1 day as we want now, by ourselves.

Total cost $400, it could cost less

Picked up  from West Marine:
(2) 3 sheave blocks; =  6:1 purchase
230' of 3/8 double braid
Climbing Harness

Picked Up from Mountain Climbing Gear Store:
(2) Carabineers
(1) Jumar
Foot tether (for standing at the mast head)

While offshore, this tackle system is hoisted on a spare halyard and kept on
stand by in case we have to get someone/thing out of the water.

Christos
Kasia #383