[Alberg30] Painting the mast

John Birch Sunstone at cogeco.ca
Sun May 18 04:55:38 PDT 2003

I had my mast painted with awlgrip a number of years ago (1997) after having
some extensive work done - welding out the old bolt holes for merriman
winches so I could install new modern winches, closing the old style exit
boxes (A-37 mast), installing compression posts at the shrouds, new mast
head welded in, conduit, etcetera. My original plan was to have the mast
clear coated, however it was pointed out to me the additional work to get
the mast uniformly shinny would drive the cost up by up to a $1000 dollars
and that a white awlgriping would cost about $200 so I went white.

I have been able to preserve that finish in very good condition even though
the mast is taken down annually by removing all the shrouds and wrapping the
mast in heavy canvas (plastic wrap is a no no - traps moisture, blisters
awlgrip and encourages corrosion in unpainted masts). I also installed two
ss hoops which keep halyards from banging against the mast and abrading the
paint when up and I use a sheet of Mylar at the partners when installing the
mast through the partners to avoid scratching[keel stepped on A-37's]).

The mast looks awesome - however, if I had my druthers I would stay with the
unpainted clear coated mast and avoid a lot of extra work. If one doesn't
take the precautions I have with my mast, a painted mast will look pretty
rough in 5 years, mine still looks like it came out of the shop - but there
is a lot of additional labour and caution required to keep it that way.

If you have a choice - don't paint, if you must, my experience has been that
it can be kept looking good but there is some additional care and labour.

Hope this is a help in arriving at your decision.

Cheers,

John - Sunstone A-37, KC-65 (1970)