[Alberg30] REPLACING MY VOLVO 10HP

schuylki at vanent.vanebros.com schuylki at vanent.vanebros.com
Mon May 26 19:07:32 PDT 2003

Hello Yves

It sounds like you are planning a wonderful lifestyle change-I wish you the
best of luck.

>I am looking to replace
the engine before leaving
> I am concern about that lack of hp in rough weather. I can reach
hull speed right now but would be much more at ease with 18hp and some
reliability.
>across the Panama canal into the
pacific.

Please do not take offense, but those three snips indicate to me, well, a
certain lack of knowledge of passagemaking-not that I have any great
experience. Have you read the Pardey's Serafin and Taleisin series? They
regularly cruise the world in 24' and later 28' cutters-no engine at all.
Not my cup of tea, but...
1. If it's rough, that means it's windy. The priority should be having the
proper sails to harness that wind. more HP means more fuel consumption,
more weight, less sailing performance. I don't think it is possible to
carry enough fuel to power through a three day gale in any circumstance.
More HP doesn't mean more reliability. What's wrong with your present
engine?
2. The engine, more than anything else, is a way to get into and out of
safe harbor. It may seem like a security blanket when offshore, but it's a
false one. I woulden't include the engine in any storm survival scenarios.
3. If you are getting to hull speed with existing engine, being able to
blast through head seas with a larger one comes with rapidly diminishing
returns.

> wondering if a fresh
water cooling system will give me 10 years of salt water abuse or should I
consider a cooling system.

I think most diesels already come with freshwater cooling. My Yanmar 2QM15
doesn't, but it's replacemant-the GM series- does. Sendure makes bolt on
after market cooling systems. It also comes at a price-extra complexity.
I'm a firm believer in the KISS system.
I'm guessing you are situated on one of the Great Lakes. Yes, sea water
cooled engines can run for 10 years or more in salt. I flush mine out with
fresh when I expect to be tied up for awhile. I have a T with ball valve
for easy winterizing-makes flushing simple. 'Course, Chesapeake Bay isn't
exactly salt.

Well, there is my .02

Michael