[Alberg30] Dinghies

Gordon LACO mainstay at csolve.net
Thu May 29 13:05:15 PDT 2003

on 5/29/03 4:02 PM, Bob Chambers at BlueDolphin at rivnet.net wrote:

> Tow it!  Did so our first year to Bahamas and not a problem, though it did
> knock about a quarter knot off the speed!  Have seen contraptions to hoist
> it vertically behind the boat, but sure don't like such an arrangement due
> to windage and visibility.  Ask Fred Stauffer about this one!
>
> Bob Chambers
>
> PS If you tow it, keep it real close behind the boat, about five to six
> feet.  If not a RIB, tow using lines attached to the transom and lead
> through "D" rings attached to the sides near the bow.  This puts the towing
> force where it is designed to be.  Bruce Rankin used to tow his this way on
> many offshore passages.

Hello,

We tow a rigid dinghy on our trips... a Boston Whaler "Squall" which is a
little sailing/rowing boat about 9' long.

I use a 40' nylon tow line so that the dink can pick its own way through
waves.  To minimize the chances that a following sea might toss it into us I
have put a funnel on the tow line about 6' from the dingny end... if the
dink starts catching up with us by surfing the line goes slack and the
funnel inverts in the water yanking  to one side and spoiling its aim at us.

We are quite aware that if we were in severe weather we would either face
losing the dink or having to cut it loose for safety.   It would be a
horrible thing to have it tossed into the cockpit...  really bad.

We had a great laugh a couple of years ago when we went aground (I stupidly
went the wrong side of a mark) and just as I was realizing that we had
thumped the rocks up came the dink, still doing five knots and walloped our
stern with a solid kick in the ass - like the coup de grace.  (we had not
discovered the funnel trick then)

Gordon Laco
#426 Surprise