[Alberg30] Dissassembly of a bronze, single speed, Merriman Bronze #6 winch

Scott Wallace tristan at one.net
Fri May 30 07:27:41 PDT 2003

Kathy,

Rig-RiteInc. (401) 739-1140, www.RigRite.com sell parts for our old Merriman winches, and may have some sketches or other info available.  Most winches are fairly
similar - they have a cast drum, which is either attached to the base by an allen bolt down in the center or by "C" clips or snaprings that encircle part of the shaft -
they may be safely removed with snap ring pliers.  Using a screw driver can be dangerous, since it could slip and cut you or put out your eye.  For the modest cost, I
would suggest the snap ring pliers.  Sears hardware or a NAPA auto supply should carry them.

When you dissassemble the drum, the little springs and sometimes the pawls will jump out too!  This is not good, since they may "jump ship".   A suggestion that I read,
was to take a cardboard box, cut out the bottom in a circle in the center, just large enough to slip the box over the winch drum.  Have someone hold it or make sure it
is secure, then pull off the drum.  Hopefully if any parts jump out the box will capture them!  Then carefully remove them from the box before you lift the box, or the
parts might fall through the hole.

I usually make a sketch of tricky things like a winch when I am dissassembling them in order that I minimize my screw ups on reassembly : )

Once all parts are taken apart, clean everything with mineral spirits (paint thinner).  Then clean them with soap and water, rinse and dry them immediately.  This
removes the solvent base from the parts so that on reassembly they hold the new winch grease.  I would reccommend using a Barient or other winch lubricant and follow
the directions.  Wipe all internal parts with a light coat and, using the box, once again, carefully reassemble.  Test so see if they work OK...

Be patient with the pawls in place and the springs - I know from an experience many years ago on my first sailboat, CATDANCING, a Catalina 22 with my old Barlow winches
: )

Good Luck!

Scott Wallace, Sailor on the Seas of Life (aren'et we all?) Rhodes Meridian WATERMARK