[Alberg30] Bottoms

John Birch Sunstone at cogeco.ca
Fri Nov 14 05:06:59 PST 2003

With all respects to Jim's point - I always feel I can use every class legal
advantage I can get, particularly racing against some of the really hot A-30
sailors. In fresh water I'd use VC 17, in salt I'd have said use a hard
smooth paint carefully applied like Pettit's Unepoxy Plus and keep it clean.

All that said, and notwithstanding previous comments re ablatives - at our
Club in Burlington, Ontario, we have a very hot racer - Ron Barr, former
winning Canada's Cup helmsman, '79 Fastnet survivor aboard Evergreen, with
more silverware than Buckingham Palace - in short a very very good sailor -
he has just restored (and I mean wow restored a 1965 C&C Invader - one of
the few good looking C&C's ever made - full keel, counter stern). Ron
cleaned-up on the Lake Ontario Racing Circuit again this summer and what is
he using???? ACP50 - and he has that bottom so smooth. Like a fine shark
skin - and he was deadly on the water too.

He is planning to go South so VC would not have been the right paint for
salt - but I have never seen such a smooth ablative bottom.

No one ever likes to admit they were wrong but re ablatives - perhaps I was
less right ; )

If the paint is applied carefully - and maintained - it too can be fast -
Q.E.D.

Just some thoughts.

Cheers,

John