[Alberg30] Questions:

John Birch Sunstone at cogeco.ca
Sun Nov 16 06:17:20 PST 2003

Hi Todd,

The rope with hook is definitely for hooking to the backstay to keep the
lazarette hatch open.

The cracks appear minor and are stress cracks due to the sharp angles found
at the corners at the deck cabin interphase. If you feel they are cracked to
the point of letting moisture into the balsa then they should be repaired.
If you are good with colour matching you can get gelcoat repair kit and do
the work yourself.  If not, you can take a sample of gelcoat in to some of
the better fibreglass supply stores and get them to colour match it and mix
you a repair kit. I believe Hamilton Fibreglass offers this service - call
first - surprisingly enough they are located in Hamilton ; ).

Suggest a moisture meter be acquired or borrowed. Protimeter Aquant is one
brand of radio moisture meter, Sovereign is another - I own a Protimeter and
it is worth the cost of a survey (about $250-300).

The correct procedure for pressure alcohol stoves is to pressurize the
stove. Allow some alcohol to fill the priming pan, then turn off the stove,
light the pan and let it burn out, then while still hot turn the stove back
on and light the burner, if it doesn't still have a flame left in the pan -
when you get used to it you will find you can light it just as the pan flame
is dying out.

A lot of people dislike pressure alcohol, (you must use pressure alcohol
fuel which is almost entirely ethanol). Methyl hydrate or cheap alcohol fuel
will clog the burner jets. The Origo is a good choice replacement as it uses
a different design, a proprietary venturi design, which allows for a non
pressurized fuel, and is faster to heat up. Origo is a better mousetrap, a
safer mouse trap. Unfortunately it is expensive and doesn't give you the
nice clean flush design you are accustomed to with the Homestrand.

Hope these suggestions are of a help.

Cheers,

John