[Alberg30] Prop selection

Tom Sutherland sutherlandt at prodigy.net
Wed Nov 19 10:31:05 PST 2003

Thanks Mike!

Are you pleased with the performance of this prop?

I have recently installed a new three cylinder kubota diesel. The engine
is supposed to produce 25hp at 3000 rps. It has a Hurth transmission
with a reduction of 1.79 in forward and  1.85 in reverse. I am still
turning my old prop which is a 12X6 2 blade. It is a right handed prop
however and the new set-up calls for a left handed prop. I thought I
could get by with just reversing the transmission linkage (forward is
reverse and reverse is forward) until I had a chance to see how the 12x6
prop would perform and maybe help me determine what I should order.

I have been given mixed reports as to what effect this might have on my
transmission so I am a bit uneasy as to how long I should run this way.
It actually seems to perform pretty well.

I am however leaning toward a three bladed prop.

As I understand things you are pretty much stuck with any new prop once
you buy the thing. Not like you can send it back and try something else.
So I am a bit anxious about what prop I should order.... Maybe I should
contact "Michigan Wheel" and see if they can make a recommendation.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

(I invite one and all to comment)

Tom S
A-30  #412