[Alberg30] overheating

FINNUS505 at aol.com FINNUS505 at aol.com
Thu Nov 20 14:43:34 PST 2003

Interesting and valuable discussion on diesel exhaust smoke color and
diagnosis of which problems different color smoke indicates, but.................back
to my question!!! :), anyone see a problem of overheating when powersailing
on port tack, and the exhaust thru hull is intermitently submerged?

The reason I am not completely sure there was a problem is that my water temp
gauge was not working consistently on a trip when we had to powersail to
windward, bucking a current, towing our dink, in order to make port. While I did
not trust the temp gauge, I noticed oil pressure dropped 5 points or so, and I
thought that might have been an indication that the engine was overheating.
When I noticed that, of course we shut down our volvo, and changed destination
that day to a port we could make under sail alone. I have since put in a new
water temp gauge, but have not had a chance to powersail on port in enough wind
to reproduce the original conditions under which I experienced the potential
problem again, ie; that the exhaust thruhull was submerged for any length of
time, and so I was wondering if anyone else noticed this problem.
It will not be much trouble to move the exhaust thru hull up to the lower
corner of the transom, but obviously, I would rather not have to do it if
unecessary.
I know there are alot of A30 sailors here that have been sailing these boats
for a long time, and have been under 'adverse conditions' more than once or
twice. If noone else has noticed this problem and have been sailing with the
exhaust thru hull in the standard place all these years, that will be good enough
for me!!!!!!!  :)
Thx,
Lee
Stargazer #255