[Alberg30] Genoa Travler

Roger L. Kingsland rkingsland101 at ksba.com
Tue Nov 25 18:55:11 PST 2003

Michael;

You are correct, when close hauled the sheet pulls up on the block, track
and bolts connecting the track to the deck.  When the sail is out, side
force is added.  Because they extend above the deck, the side force tries to
bend the bolts outward.  I think this bending force can cause the bolts to
work and degrade the watertight integrity of the hull to deck joint.  This
is the reason I considered moving the genoa traveler off the rail onto the
deck.  Then the issue is the possibility that the shear strength of the deck
may be insufficient to hold the track.

My reference to a shear connection was at the overlap between deck hull and
deck.  My point was that, because the rail acts as a long wood washer, the
bolts can't be torqued enough to get the compression necessary for a
friction connection between hull and deck.  Therefore, the strength added to
the joint by the bolts is only "in shear" which is limited to the resistance
of the material pushing against the sides of the bolt.  This is considerably
less than a compression connection that would "clamp" the materials
together.

Hope this makes sense.

Roger

Roger L. Kingsland, AIA
Managing Partner
Kingsland Scott Bauer Associates (KSBA)
N40° 27' 49"  W79° 57' 59"
3441 Butler Street
Pittsburgh, PA 15201
www.ksba.com

1(412) 252-1500 X101 - Office & Voice Mail
1(412) 779-5101 - Mobile (no voice mail)
1(412) 252-1510 - Fax