[Alberg30] Compaionway Drop Boards

Dudley Baker dudley.baker at kongsberg.com
Sat Nov 29 18:53:15 PST 2003

Brian-
Thanks for your input -- very timely advice as my companionway slides, (while still somewhat solid),
are covered in what I consider the  awful Semco.  I would rather start fresh and not have to sand in
all the nooks and crannys.  I checked on the AFI site and you're right  -- part numbers are there
and I will probably go this route.
Dudley Baker #297

                      Brian and Elaine
                      Timmin<timmins at optonl        To:       Post to Publiclist <public-list at alberg30.org>
                      ine.net>                     cc:
                      Sent by:                     Subject:  [Alberg30] Compaionway Drop Boards
                      public-list-bounces at a
                      lberg30.org

                      11/26/2003 07:52 AM
                      Please respond to
                      Alberg 30 public list

  On my ex#497, when the companionway drop boards fell apart to the point that it didn't make sense
to patch them up any longer, I made complete new louvered drop boards to fit by modiying a kit.
  I don't see the kit parts listed anywhere in my normal on line shopping favorites any more, but
I'm sure they can be had by ordering them.  The kit is made by AFI. The numbers are:  top/bottom
stiles 60881 -----  side rails  60880  -------- Louvers / slats 60882.  These parts are listed at
the Marinco-AFI web page still so the part numbers are current. Unfortunately, they don't show a
picture, but you can see the results at:
http://community.webshots.com/user/briantimmins
in the first album.
   The only tools needed to assemble the kit were a saw (I used a table saw), clamps, drill and bit
for dowelling, and glue. Some imagination and measureing ability is required also. The end result is
(I think) quite nice and solid teak.
Regards,
Brian
PS  I also added screening behind the louvers, but this is not part of the kit. I routed a groove
around the lovered area and screened it using standard Home Depot fiberglass screening and spline.