[Alberg30] New Main Sail

Brian and Elaine Timmins timmins at optonline.net
Sun Oct 5 03:04:20 PDT 2003

    My posting of the link to the strong system was only meant to show that
they do have a system that fits over the standard 7/8ths sail track (top of
page 4 on the link).
    On my Alberg (with 7/8 external) my 2+2 UK main had regular slides
webbed to the sail at the batten receptacle. On my current 39' Cutter, my
new Mack Sails full batten main has 7/8ths internal slides webbed to the
batten receptacles as well. They are not the standard internal slides, but
have an extra slide surface that rides on the outside of track as well as
the normal internal surface. Both sails went/go up and down fairly easily
with the slides webbed in place like this.
    The strong system is just supposed to make it easier, and quicker to
hoist and lower the sail. I'm also considering adding it for just these
reasons. (less need to winch up my 41' luff, and less need to assist it when
lowering it)
Certainly any sailmaker worth dealing with can match slides to any common
track including the classic 7/8ths external.
Brian    ex#497