[Alberg30] Jib Track

lfinkenberg lfinkenberg at nyc.rr.com
Mon Oct 6 14:13:15 PDT 2003

If I recall correctly, the jib sail track I replaced was stainless steel
that was seated on top of a narrow peace of teak and in turn bolted thru the
toe rail and deck (I think it was original).  The replacement track I used
was of aluminum and shaped like a T. The easiest part was cutting and
bending the aluminum track - aluminum bends and cuts like butter.  Close to
none of the bolt holes lined up with the former sail track - not to say you
can't find one that does line up - which meant I probably spent almost as
much on nuts and bolts as I did on the sail track.  Yoga stretching is
probably the best preparation for the positions you?ll find yourself in when
removing and tightening the nuts and bolts.  I gave my old tracks away - and
if I had it to do over I'd of simply replaced the teak that had
disintegrated under the sail track or certainly gotten a sail track that
lined up with the old bolt holes.  I did not know sail track could be placed
on the outside of the toe rail - I'm surprised the toe rail can handle it.
The biggest benefit of my replacing the sail track is that I don?t take yoga
anymore and I found that the toe rail was not sealed to the deck and was the
cause of Gypsy acting as one giant catch basin - nock on wood but I pump the
bilge very seldom now and I still have the some flexibility I gained in
doing the job.

I bet if you ask - there's someone on the list that could dig out of their
garage a jib sail track that you could use on top of your toe rail.

Saw #39 - Veritas - this weekend while out on Gypsy - I had originally
planned on a day trip down to dry dock - the weather was so incredible I
scratched the idea for next weekend - what a wonderful day it was to sail.

Gypsy #138, Oyster Bay.

>Message: 9
>Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2003 09:47:59 -0400
>From: Bill Blevins <billblevins at mac.com>
>Subject: [Alberg30] Jib track
>To: "Alberg 30 public list <public-list at alberg30.org>"

>My A30 is a 1966. The sail track for the jib is screwed down on the
>outside toe rail.

>If you mount the toe rail track for the ginny on the top of the wood, how
hard is it to bend that to get the curve right? Do you heat it and beat it
into submission?