[Alberg30] Jib track

R C Alley ralley at chesapeake.net
Mon Oct 6 18:05:04 PDT 2003

Bill Blevins wrote:

>My A30 is a 1966. The sail track for the jib is screwed down on the outside
>toe rail.
>
>If you mount the toe rail track for the ginny on the top of the wood, how
>hard is it to bend that to get the curve right? Do you heat it and beat it
>into submission?
>
>I think it's a 1" wide track. The port side has been hit so the car won't
>come back past a certain point. I either need to replace or take it off and
>try to smooth out the curve back to it's original shape.
>
>Has anyone done something different? (location)? How about cars that are
>adjustable with control lines instead of the screw down type?
>
>Bill Blevins
>Sabrina #158

Bill:  You can cold bend the track to shape. The hardest part is keeping
the bend flat.  Use a strong bench vice and a steel pipe cheater, and
work very slowly--a bend, once made, is more difficult to straighten and
re-bend to a different radius.  If all you are doing is to work on a
damaged section to return it to its original radius, be aware that the
metal has a memory and you may find it easier to accomplish than you
think.  Use chalklines on a concrete floor to indicate what your end
state should be, and check your progress against the chalklines.

Avoid hammering if at all possible. Remember that beating on the metal
deforms it , and will make it thicker or thinner, depending on the axis
of the blows made.  Always make the metal thicker when cold working with
a hammer--if you thin it out too much, it is very difficult to return
the material to its original thickness.  Remember that thinning will
also lengthen, and your bolt and screw holes will no longer line up
properly--be careful.

Rob (Five years a blacksmith) Alley