[Alberg30] Surveyors- was: Boats available?

Gary Barker eyewander at prexar.com
Fri Oct 10 20:15:07 PDT 2003

Chris,
The guy that has helped me out more than he will ever know is Tim
Lackey.  Tim is a surveyor from Falmouth.  Check out his website
www.triton381.com.  I looked at Tritons from Connecticut, Rhode Island,
Maine and would have bought one if I hadn't checked out an A30.  I am
6'2" and the headroom on the A30 was a big plus to me.  Although the
A30 is only a couple feet more than the triton, it feels much bigger.
The Kittiwake is a bit larger than a Pearson Electra.  I looked at an
Alberg 22, but it was newer, plastic and didn't appeal to me.

In the Northeast here, I like the full keel traditional designs. Maybe
not as fast, but I got caught out this summer with gusts going to 35
knts.  It was a great ride with the wind, but trying to get back was a
rush.  A 30' boat got knocked down and over that day on the next
peninsula down.  I worked too hard for a while, then dropped all sails
and motored back...Only to get hung up on a lobster trap.  It was an
interesting day. I started with a Catalina 22 which I have  for sale
too.  That is a swing keel pop top.  I used it on the lakes up here.
Nice trailer and all.  But down on the coast, I like having some
ballast below.  The Kittiwake has 1500 lbs ballast.  The Catalina has
only 500.  I think I would have had a really bad day if I had been in
the Catalina.  But who knows?  I just have too many boats.  I was even
looking at an Electra I saw on the internet with the idea of fixing up
and selling.  I think my wife would kill me if I came home with one
more.  Thats why I have to thin out and concentrate on the A30.  This
winter, I have a storage barn that is 20x40 and I am going to work on
it inside.  That is something I am looking forward to.
This is rambling on.  Let me know how things go and be sure to check
out Tim's website.  He would give you a first rate survey.
Regards,
Gary