[Alberg30] New Sail 2

Bill Blevins billblevins at mac.com
Tue Oct 14 02:56:55 PDT 2003

Just a follow up note to add on the sail thread...The Chesapeake PHRF
statement for A30's states that the boat must meet class requirements. I've
been thinking about adding a larger genoa which is fine for the class rules
but can't be used in PHRF racing. How about this? A roller furling 174%
genoa but in PHRF you just don't open it all the way? OR take the additional
rating for furling headsails but take the hit on PHRF rating and use it. I
wonder how many seconds that would add or if they would even issue one like
that.

On another note, Sabrina won her first regatta this past weekend. We had a
poor start but were the only boat who launched the chute on the first leg on
a very tight beam reach (probably shouldn't have, 12 knot breeze, 100 year
old chute and rail in the water and all) and passed the whole fleet, ended
up dropping it just below the mark and came up hard on the wind to make the
mark due to the strong current heading down the course, then launched it
again for a long 5 mile downwind run. Our main competition (Catalina 27) had
run aground off our port side just past the first reaching mark, but they
caught us by the bottom mark and rounded right in front of us. An A fleet
S-2 blanketed us after rounding the bottom mark and we sat in a hole for
about 5 minutes until she cleared us, then we couldn't find our competition
when we could see the race course again. Heading to windward for the finish
line, we followed the S-2 for about 3 miles and crossed, packed up and went
home thinking we placed second. The race results showed up the following day
with us winning the B-fleet. The other boat had sailed the wrong course and
retired. That's why we couldn't find her at the bottom mark. Anyway, it's
our first - first place win this year in a big regatta! (We placed second
for the 8 race summer Saturday series this year too). We're almost ready to
come up and try our hand in the races with the A30 class next year!

Bill Blevins
Sabrina #158