[Alberg30] Re: Public-list Digest, Vol 167, Issue 1

lfinkenberg lfinkenberg at nyc.rr.com
Tue Sep 2 13:26:59 PDT 2003

Roger,

I'm intrigued and a bit overwhelmed - it all makes sense.  I have a gray
marine I'd love to contribute to the cause (a backup generator).  Barring
such use it is available to any Alberger for free!  With the following
provisios - it be picked up in the middle of the night and the taker never
speak to me about the engine (or blame me for that matter).  The engine will
be dropped at Gypsy's keel sometime this winter - located at College Point
Yatch Club (at the foot of the whitestone bridge).

Linc
Gypsy #138, Oyster Bay.

Message: 13
>Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 12:19:09 -0400
>From: "Roger L. Kingsland" <rkingsland101 at ksba.com>
>Subject: [Alberg30] Creative Hail Solutions
>To: "Alberg 30 public list" <public-list at alberg30.org>
>
>Bill;
>
>One idea.  We did a project in south Texas and the construction workers
>there wore "cowboy hard hats".  No, really: they look just like cowboy hats
>but are made of hard plastic, like real haed hats.  If you had one of
these,
>your face, shoulders and head would all be protected from hail, rain, sun;
>boom.  Better than those buckets that get so hot and clammy and make such
an
>awful echo when hit by beer cans. Wait a minute that was college; hail is
>probably just as bad though, maybe worse.
>
>I have this other idea.  A friend is one of the leading multi-media
>integrators (I am not really sure what that means but, I know he is up to
>the task) in the country and we are collaborating on the multi-stage
>"remote-tification" of Mahina (A30, #148).  The first stage involves remote
>control of the boat from below.  I was originally thinking of poker games
>but I suppose it would work during hail storms as well.  Phase one systems
>include the following "normal" gear;
>  a.. radar (does anyone know if radar actually works in a hail storm or,
>for that matter, during a poker game)
>  b.. VHF (for listening to those amusing, "damn motor won't start" stories
>from motor boats with names like;
>    a.. My Way [Frank Sinatra lover],
>    b.. Big Whopper [Burger King franchise owner],
>    c.. Dividend (never worked a day in my life)
>    d.. Fish-R-Us (gone-R-I)
>    e.. Papas Pastime (cute),
>    f.. Daddies Diva (a little weird)
>    g.. Mammas Not Home (what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas)
>    h.. Sweet Revenge (got the best divorce lawyer)
>  c.. stereo (to drown out the hail noise)
>  d.. auto pilot with remote control
>  e.. all the typical instruments  (speed, wind [speed, direction, angle],
>smell. decibels, foot-candles, carbon [mo, larry and lady-di oxide],
>compass, velocity made [good and bad], GPS, fish finder, fish bait finder)
>  f.. wet bar with ice maker (of course, you won't need it for the hail
>storm but it will be useful for the poker game, in fact, if we only play
>poker during the hail storm, we can replace the ice maker with a simple
hail
>collection system)
>Other, less common, systems will also be required;
>  a.. mast head, motorized video camera (with zoom) connected to plasma
>screen mounted on bulkhead below (to confirm radar contacts and try to spot
>those pesky little boats that don't show up so well on radar)
>  b.. 300 watt PA system with 360 degree rotating speaker to A)
occasionally