[Alberg30] Universal Diesel Power

Mike Lehman sail_505 at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 4 07:30:17 PDT 2003

Roger,

Engine HP is usually rated at full throttle, in your case probably 3600 RPM.
At cruising speed your will not be as far up on the power curve. A
three-blade props helps because the is always one blade "cutting", so it is
smoother and more consistent. The prop needs to be matched to both the
boat's hull design and weight and to the power curve of the engine. Ideally
you should run a deisel under normal cruising conditions at 75-80% full
power. The worst thing you can do to the engine is "labor" it with too low
RPMs. The 18HP 3-cyl diesel is close to the ideal engine for the boat.

Mike Lehman
"Gilleleje" #505