[Alberg30] Universal Diesel Power

Roger L. Kingsland rkingsland101 at ksba.com
Thu Sep 4 08:10:07 PDT 2003

Mike;

Thanks for the great information.  I was not aware of the 75-80% deal and
have been running at 1500 to 2000 RPM.  It sounds like it should be more
like 2600 to 2800.  I have noticed a slight pulsating motion that may be
caused by the two blade prop not "cutting."  It's good to know I have the
right engine for the boat, particularly since there is so many other things
to spend money on (like sails).  Should I contact Van Ness Engineering RE
matching power curve and boat design or is there anyone who has done it
before and can share their results?

The most complicated machinery I have had on previous boats is a 6 HP
outboard (that I still managed to destroy); and, on charters, when something
breaks, you just call Mister Fix It and have a beer till he shows up (except
for that time I decided not to wait and sailed up Back Creek; I still don't
know why the tow boat skipper was so mad).  I have to admit that having real
systems like plumbing, electrical and a diesel engine is a little daunting
and your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again,

Roger