[Alberg30] Lowering mast from deck

Don Campbell dk.campbell at sympatico.ca
Fri Sep 19 10:53:29 PDT 2003

James;
It would apear as if you want to just lower the mast from the pulpits to the
ground, and that the mast is unstepped as it sits now. I would pad the mast
on the cabin top and then pivot the mast 90 degrees so it rests across the
cabin top and slowly move it to one side so that one end gets gently onto
the ground, so done with a delicate balance. Then repad the cabin top so you
can slide the mast further out by walking it away from the boat,  with you
on the ground. Once there is just enough on the cabintop to prevent the mast
from slipping onto the deck, you can attach one rope to that end and walk it
over the bow or stern and let it down gently. I move my mast twice annually
on the trailer and Alberg masts are heavy enough it takes 3 good people to
carry it, 4 is better for all concerned! Figure 250 lbs at the least.
    If you need to unstep the mast, then there is an an A frame system on
the AL30 site as well as Yves method. I believe Yves might have a different
attachment system for the base of the mast than the standard one I have
seen. You will need extra help if you need to do this 12 feet above ground.
See pics for help while in water.