[Alberg30] Iasbel Aftermath

Bill & Mary Ann Mahony mabwjm at starpower.net
Fri Sep 19 14:22:04 PDT 2003

Hi--

    Things went pretty well down at Zahniser's in Solomons, MD.  The docks
were under water about a foot or two around 1:00 PM today, but the boats all
looked okay...just very tall!! ;-).  "Mary Ann" was riding high and fine, I
didn't try climbing aboard (though I suspect my wife was anticipating the
splash if I did ;-), but all our storm preparations appeared intact--even
the plastic over the cowl vents and companionway boards.  We didn't see Tom
& Sheila's boat, as I know they moved it from their normal slip to
another--I'm hoping their office stuff is okay though--Trident Yachts sits
at the end of our slip row, so I'm guessing their floor might be awash.
We'll head back down tomorrow and hopefully be able to get aboard--I don't
anticipate finding too much out of order--I'm sure we had some leakage,
perhaps around the older portlights in the v-berth and head/hanging locker.
We took some photos today and I'll try to figure out how to download and
make available to anyone interested.

    We took the sails down, dodger, doubled all the dock lines and added a
second spring line.  We tightened most of the slack out of the spring lines
on the advice of the yard to keep her from wallowing too much in the slip.
Mary Ann covered all the cabin cushions in plastic, and removed most of our
personal gear and anything that could become airborne.  Topside, we hung
fenders amidships and off the stern quarters, and we added some bumpers from
West Marine on the edge of our finger pier.  Finally, we covered all of our
vents with plastic bags and speed-taped, and speed-taped or instrument and
compass covers on the companionway bulkheads.

    It was sobering seeing the debris that washed up--and how far ashore it
washed.  About 1/2 of Zahniser's parking lot must have been under water at
one point.  Spoke to Jim Sharkey, the yard manager, and he indicated the
marina did very well--no major damage to anyone's boat.  They had quite a
few that were hauled--we considered it, but decided to leave her in the
slip.  Overall a good decision, though I admit to being a bit nervous last
night.  I think if we had to do it again, and the storm was either a
stronger storm or predicted to come closer to us, we'd probably opt to haul
or move up the river to an anchorage.  A lot of the island was closed off
due to flooding today.

    Hope everyone else faired well....thanks to everyone who responded with
suggestions earlier in the week.

Here's hoping it's a long time before we have to think about it again!

Bill
#276 "Mary Ann"