[Alberg30] Iasbel Aftermath

Amy & David Swanson zira at bellsouth.net
Sat Sep 20 18:03:19 PDT 2003

Hello -

For an idea of the storm surge on the Neuse River, check out this web site
from Oriental:
http://www.towndock.net/
This broke the high water mark set by Dennis, the previous record holder.
Looks to be over 9 feet.  Fortunately, this wind-driven water departed in
hours, not weeks like the flooding from Floyd or Fran.  Our boat was fine,
the dingy dock & dock boxes were ravaged.  There is no electricity or water
on the docks (the water covered the breaker boxes), but the docks themselves
are okay.  The shop & storage buildings were flooded, much equipment
damaged, but structurally sound.  Surprisingly few trees down considering.

Anyone planning to head south on the ICW this fall should check ahead as
some docks on the Albamarle & Pamilco sounds (Edenton & Belhaven were hit
hard I know), and probably some south on Bogue Sound through Wrightsville
Beach, may have damage.  Also, the new inlet through Hatteras Island may
affect flows (and therefore channels) in Ocacroake, Hatteras, and Beaufort
Inlets.  The channels leading south into Beaufort/Morehead City have been
changing a LOT the last 4 or 5 years so especially check current info on
that area.

David Swanson
Strayaway Child
Alberg 30 #229