[Alberg30] New Main Sail

Gordon LACO mainstay at csolve.net
Tue Sep 30 06:03:39 PDT 2003

Hello -

I think that most would agree that two masted rigs on vessels below 35' loa
generally result in a fairly dramatic loss of performance.   In the days
before good self-steering long distance voyagers used them in their attempts
to improve the ability of the boat's naturally self steering... and the
result has been residual praise for small ketches and yawls.  Doing that to
an Alberg will result in a boat that has to motor to windward and is awkward
to sail on other tacks.

The main reason is the the small sails that result from adding the second
mast are so small and so close together that they mess each other up (very
unscientific, oversimplified description); when you are running or
beating... you cannot use the mizzen to advantage so are forced to use the
much reduced main.  The effect is that of sailing with three reefs in it all
the time the only exception being when reaching.

Yes, a ketch or a yawl looks nice, and those rigs do give you options with
regard to balance... but at a great cost in performance in small boats.

Gord
#426 Surprise