[Alberg30] Any Genoas? Any ballast

Gordon LACO mainstay at csolve.net
Tue Sep 30 09:17:30 PDT 2003

Well,

Some of you may remember me complaining about my boat being tender - and
then being ashamed at being surprised at what a colossal change the new
genoa made.... well in my "she's too tender" days I did a pile of research
on the ballast issue.   As my boat has a liner there is not much room down
there for the lead pigs I would have bought from Mars Metal (on the web).
They would have cast them into flat sections that I could pack in but I
figured that I could only get a few hundred pounds down there - not enough
to be worth while.

I also daydreamed about cutting off the encapsulated ballast, fitting a
keelson and fitting a smaller (same mass) lead ballast keel with deadwoods
like a wooden boat - that would have made a dramatic improvement in the
boat's performance, but what a heck of a lot of work.

There is a long speach... if you have lightened your boat by removing stuff
(sounds like a ton or more by "pounds per inch immersion" numbers in Skene)
- you have effectively improved the ballast/displacement ratio already.

Gord
#426 Surprise