[Alberg30] More Drastic Changes

R C Alley ralley at chesapeake.net
Tue Sep 30 17:11:38 PDT 2003

Roger L. Kingsland wrote:

>Gord,
>
>How about this for a drastic modification; remove the keel mounted rudder
>and replace it with a transom mounted spade rudder that looks something like
>a bigger version of Cape Horn self steering.  I don't have the faintest idea
>what it would do to the balance but the sucker would turn on a dime (maybe a
>small quarter).
>
>Roger

The mind boggles--but, as long as drastic modifications are being
contemplated:  two thirds of the Chesapeake are inacessible to the
Alberg in any size or rigging configuration.  We all need a retractable
centerboard in lieu of encapsulated ballast.  An hour with a chain saw
ought to begin the project!!!