[Public-list] Starter

Meinhold, Michael J MICHAEL.J.MEINHOLD at saic.com
Tue Apr 20 08:18:47 PDT 2004

I need some sage advice, so I am very grateful to George for his efforts to
get the list and website back up.

Rinn Duin has the "early model" A4. The starter had been a little balky,
refusing to engage for long enough to start the engine. I got it working
well enough, then it locked engaged with the engine running and got hot
enough to burn paint. So... I need a new starter. Now the Prestolite
starters that go with this engine are hard to find, and two suppliers,
including Don Moyer, have reccomended changing the flywheel to acccomodate
the newer Delco starter.

 Has anyone done this? What tools are needed? Can it be done in the boat?
How much would a flywheel cost and where would you find one?

Thanks  for any advice,

Mike Meinhold
Rinn Duin 272