[Public-list] Big Move

Don Campbell dk.campbell at sympatico.ca
Tue Apr 20 21:30:44 PDT 2004

Randy:
    You might want to consider getting a pro to move her. You will need wide
load permits and signage  for either Canada or the US. In Ontario you need
one per county and one for the 400 series roads. In the US, you will need
one for interstate roads per state and one per state for all non interstate
roads. If you cross big bridges (toll) you will need bridge authority times
to cross them. Permits for just NY state amounted to 4 and I did not go on
anything but interstate roads. In Ontario you can only move wide loads from
dawn to dusk and in the US, we could only move the boat off Long Island
after 2200 hours.  You will need a trailer with brakes on it that will carry
the boat easily and a unit that will pull it and, more to the point, stop as
required. It must have a license big enough to cover the weight of towing
vehicle, trailer and boat so probably about 20,000 lbs and to get out of
Ontario it will need a safety check sticker on both the tractor and trailer.
If the GVW license is more than about 15000 lbs you need to keep a log and
then you are caught with 10 hour days per driver and less than 70 hours a
week per driver.You will also need an A license if the GVW is over 5000 lbs
including trailer and load.   Then there is the pull over the hill in BC.
and I don't think a suburban or light (3-5 ton ) tractor is what you want
either going up  or coming down the other side. I pull our 30 on a single
axle air ride trailer with a 10 wheeler on air axles too and it is a dream.
One hardly knows it is there. Try to get a back haul on a trip someone is
making for a Cataina.
Don