[Public-list] Rudder post leaking

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Mon Aug 9 07:27:49 PDT 2004

Ed,

Where the tube comes through the hull, it should be glassed into place.
Where the rudder post exits the tube, there should be a packing gland
(or, in the older boats, should come to the bottom of the cockpit and be
above the waterline).

I gain access to the area by removing half of the bulkhead inside the
port cockpit locker and lying in the locker (see
http://alberg30.org/maintenance/Steering/AccessToStuffingBox/).  In
fact, I did so this weekend to tighten the gland nut which was dripping
a bit.

 - George