[Public-list] Propane Locker

Roger L. Kingsland rkingsland101 at ksba.com
Fri Aug 13 09:15:24 PDT 2004

Questions for all relative to freeboard, lazarette ventilation and gas
storage.  Assuming the most extreme, SUSTAINED healing angle is with
amidships toe rail awash, what portions of the lazarette are underwater?
Can we assume when the boat is healed it is moving at a respectable speed,
say 3.5+ knots?  At this speed will a self bailing cockpit drain (like some
of the small boats have) create a suction that will ventilate gasses?  Is
leaking propane gas more dangerous than leaking gasoline?  Are there gas
detectors that detect both propane and gasoline?

I ask because my plan is to ventilate the entire Lazarette by installing a
false floor
that slopes to holes above the water line at either side of the hull (sort
of like the self draining anchor /rhode lockers at the bow of some boats).
My hope (springs eternal) is, by installing small clam shell vents over the
holes, the suction created at speed will ventilate the locker while healed?
(Anyone know where I can research shapes that suck?)

I have sealed all holes and routed
the hoses (exhaust, fuel vent, bilge pumps) along the fore/aft centerline at
the
bottom of the locker.  I can encase these in self leveling silicone which
will form the middle section of the new floor.  See PS, below. (Lowering the
trailer tongue will create an aft slope, permitting drainage at the bottom
of the locker outboard along the curve of the hull.)  The side sections of
the false floor will be
plywood glassed-in to the hull.  I still haven't determined the height of
the
floor but expect it will be at least as high as the cockpit sole which is
about 6" above the lowest point in the locker.

Your criticism of this plan will greatly help me determine it's feasibility.

Roger
PERFECT intentions. A30 #148

PS - speaking of self leveling silicone, I tried some in a seat locker to
raise the height of the bottom.  I drilled a new drainage hole about 12" aft
of the forward bulkhead and plugged the old one with a paper towel.  I
lowered the trailer tongue and pumped in two large tubes of the stuff  so it
was up to the bottom of the new drain hole.  As you might imagine, the stuff
is really watery (does that mean it has low or high viscosity?).  From the
engine compartment I noticed some leakage form the old drainage hole and I
forced more paper towel in with a screw driver and waited till I thought the
leak had stopped.  Thinking this was sufficient, I went home, had a beer and
congratulated myself on how clever I was.  I checked the locker the next day
and everything looked fine but when I tapped the flat surface of the new
silicone, it was not solid but a membrane like a drum.   You guessed it,  my
drain hole seal had failed and, although the top had cured. the interior was
still liquid and it all drained (lava like) into my newly painted bilge (I
don't suppose anyone knows how to get globs of silicone up; man. that stuff
really sticks).  When I do the other side, I will first patch with
fiberglass then test by filling with water.  If I were really clever (which
I keep learning I'm not), I would save some weight by allowing the skin to
cure then drain the uncured silicon into a can and use it somewhere else.