[Public-list] Boat Trim

Roger L. Kingsland rkingsland101 at ksba.com
Wed Aug 18 07:22:42 PDT 2004

Michael,

I applaud your focus on performance and would like to learn more about boat
trim.  You mention "original marks,"  how did you determine what they are.
All I have done is use a level to mark horizontal while the boat was
floating and set the trailer tongue to match that "level line."  What I
don't know is if the boat was "on her marks" when I did the measurement.

Relative to tanks, the only change I have made aft is to move the 11 gallon
(90+/- pounds max.) diesel tank from the starboard cockpit locker to under
the cockpit sole (aft about 2').  I am planning on 2-20 gallon tanks under
the aft end of the V berths; a holding tank and a water tank.  Assuming one
fills as the other empties, this would add about 170 pounds 1' forward of
the mast.  However, I plan to use the existing water tank (250 pounds max.
about 4' forward of the mast) as a back up for longer trips.  I have also
thought of moving the batteries forward with one under the head and one at
the bottom of the hanging locker.  Lastly, I did kick around the idea of a
larger fuel tank under the cabin sole but, shazzam, that would be a bunch of
work.

I guess the main question is what is the ideal trim of the boat and how does
one measure it?  For example, if I knew where along the keel the boat should
"balance" (either with or without equipment and gear) it would be a simple
matter of calculating the moment arm of each major load to achieve the
proper balance.

I have also heard that concentrating the weight near the center of  a  boat
reduces "hobby horsing" but don't know how one could centralize the weight
effectively on an A30 without major modifications.  Your thoughts would be
greatly appreciated.

Roger Kingsland