[Public-list] Hull/deck fixing

C.B. Currier cbcurrier at spinrx.com
Mon Aug 30 07:26:22 PDT 2004

I would advise on not countersinking as that would reduce the surface
area/friction points that will exist when you put in the screws/poprivets.

I believe that the rivets / screws are really backups to the resin in the
joint. I would ensure that the bond is tight in the joint and that will do
more good than fasteners. Then use fasteners to backup the joints.

I gather that originally boat builders use the poprivets to get the joint
made as quickly and exact as possible once the resin is mixed and applied
to joint the deck to the hull.

The poprivets then are more of an insurance policy. Hoever, by
countersinking you reduce the strength of the glass where you have the
hole for your fastener(poprivet/screw). This means if the resin bond were
ever to fail, the holding strength of the fastener would be less reliable
due to the weakend glass.

So... do not countersink, just go flush.
--
C.B. Currier
Infinity #57