[Public-list] Re: chainplates

Gordon White gewhite at crosslink.net
Thu Dec 16 10:16:53 PST 2004

     Just my 2 cents, but this looks like a "it ain't broke - don't fix
it" situation. In my experience, if minimal attention is paid to
caulking with flexible caulk  there is very  little problem with the
chainplates. (aside from perhaps putting in 5/16 " bolts, though on my
boat the 1/4" bolts look fine)

    Seems to me there needs to be flexibility where the plate passes
through the deck, even if there is rigidity where the plate fastens to
(in the Alberg's case the bulkhead) or the topsides. There is more flex
between the deck and the hull than you might think.

    In my 60 years on the water I have found that there  is probably a
reason why things are done the way they are.  Sometimes there is "a
better way," but sometimes not. Having owned several boats, all of which
had essentially the same chainplate design with redundancy in the number
of  fasteners and the spreading of the load over the length of the
plate, I'd guess this was a proven method of attaching the stays.  In
other areas of interest I have found that  trying to out-think the way
things have been done for a long time is sometimes self-defeating. I
have tried to be innovative in several projects I have undertaken and
some have not worked as well as I had hoped. Not always, but often. This
looks like one of them.

- Gordon White