[Public-list] Cutlass bearing size (revisited)

Villo Marmei marmei_v at pathcom.com
Mon Dec 6 08:56:20 PST 2004

OK...
Let us see if we can clear this confusion....I changed my bearing and I
have  2 / 1/4-20NC x 1/2" long set screws holding this bushing in place.
1/2 inch long is because I also lock these set screws in place with a 1/4
inch counter lock nut ...all SS

For a 1/4-20NC thread use a No. 7 (.2010 dia) drill for the dimple. First
stick the plain drill into the hole and tap same slightly with a hammer
while rotating drill by hand. Do this for about 3 minutes until you have
developed a nice decent location for the drill point. Then chuck the drill
into your drill and rotate drill by hand holding chuck until this hole is
cleared into a clean pocket.....then apply low trigger pressure LOW
revolutions,patience and finish the hole just 1/16" deep.
It is like playing with your sail trim in light air.(Unless you also play
the violin). Slowly but surely....making no mistakes.
Happy drilling Villo KC-641