[Public-list] Sail track

George Dinwiddie gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
Sun Dec 12 09:12:49 PST 2004

Jon,

You don't say what era boat you have or where your gas tank is located.
  I believe that most of the earlier boats had a horizontal gas tank in
the starboard locker.  Later boats, like Calypso (#543) had a horizontal
15 gallon gas tank at a rather extreme angle under the cockpit sole.

When we first got Calypso, we had this gas tank replaced (at exhorbitant
expense by an unscrupulous mechanic) with a 12 gallon Tempo plastic tank
at a lesser angle, still holding about 10 gallons of fuel because of the
airspace trapped at the aft end of the tank.  The old tank was removed
over the engine after removing the exhaust riser.

Were I to do the job today, I would probably put in an ~18 gallon saddle
tank in the starboard locker, as many other boats have done.  The
biggest problem with such a setup is the limited space between the tank
and the side deck for plumbing.

  - George

   I think how evening follows morn;            gdinwiddie at alberg30.org
   So many I love were not yet born.