[Public-list] Chainplate covers?

Michael Connolly crufone at sbcglobal.net
Wed Dec 15 08:40:42 PST 2004

Hello,
My concern would be the breaking strength ( tension) of the machine threads of the two bolts versus the breaking strength (shear) of the three 1/4 or 5/16 or 3/8" bolts used now.  I could be wrong, but I have a feeling that it is easier to pull the head off a bolt than to make it fail by shear. Probably depends on the specific circumstances.  Some Engineer on the list can comment.  This design still has two holes thru the deck to be sealed from leaking down below.
my 2 cents,
Michael

John Irving <a30blueteal at gmail.com> wrote:
This looks like a great idea. It puts a lot of faith into the SS
welds. I'm not sure if that could be a deal breaker or not, but I've
read that corrosion on SS welds is a potential problem. I've heard
stories about SS self steering gear failing at the welds, etc. That
begs the next question... does it have to be SS? Could it be
galvanized mild steel?

One solution I thought about for the reinstall was to