[Public-list] My Rudder is Broke and Needs Fixin

sousa, stephen (ENG) sousa_stephen at emc.com
Mon Dec 20 07:26:19 PST 2004

Lincoln,

Normally you would repair or build a rudder in a mold or lying horizontal on
a work area. The bronze piece is the rudder stock which runs from the shoe
up into the cockpit. Since the shoe and pintel/gudgeon are no longer
attached the tiller cap is removed and rudder stock can be removed. The
entire rudder with stock is over 6ft tall cannot remember exact numbers
since it has been years when I removed the rudder. The boat has to be in
slings or you are digging a hole for the rudder to slide out of the boat.

On construction, I do not know of anyone that has built a rudder out of
plywood that doesn't mean it cannot be done. I know on the early Pearson
Tritons the rudders were made from teak or mahogany, with bronze rivets and
straps.

There is an company in Florida that is in the rudder business, I do not know
the name but a fellow sailor replaced his before leaving for a two year
cruise.

As another recommendation, if you use the J24 stainless pintel/gudgeon.
Please check for crevice corrosion on an annual basis. Stainless in salt
water without having an opportunity to out gas will have crevice corrosion.

The fitting from a Pacific Seacraft Dana 25 will fit the Alberg and are made
of bronze. Since they are still in production, Pacific Seacraft should be
able to provide a vendor for these parts.

I am currently replacing a stainless shaft on the Alberg that has crevice
corrosion where it enters the cutlass bearing. This was found when the shaft
was removed for this work.

Regards,
Stephen