[Public-list] Lost Rudder: Gudgeons and Pintels

Michael dickdurk at intercom.net
Wed Dec 22 17:05:24 PST 2004

> I've also heard from members and folks in the field that >its better to
> encase the rudder core in carbon versus >glass

Wouldn't that be like restoring a Ferrari starting from a Chevy? The boat
was grossly overbuilt using polyester GRP originally.

>As I recall the port and starboard sides of the rudder >was pretty flat - I
>didn't recall seeing any concave shape >- as you see with some rudders -
>which makes sense >given the full keel.

It would be really difficult for me to do all that work and not 'teardrop'
it, at least in my imagination it would be faster (the Tau of sailing...)BUT
that would be messing with class restrictions concerning structural shapes.
You are going to need to find an Alberg on the stocks. Good time of year for
that.

Michael Grosh