[Public-list] Maine=Grenada

CAPTDAVE40 at aol.com CAPTDAVE40 at aol.com
Mon Jul 5 07:54:46 PDT 2004

Hi Bobby,

Wish I could give a honest and clear answer to your question on how to go
south.
 First: I humbly believe it's a matter of experience and reading the weather.
 My past ancestors, in the winter, cut ice in the meadow pond on Islesboro  .
. . waited for a weather window and set sail on their three and four masted
schooners, steering directly south in wicked cold weather. They did this every
winter, sailing to Barbados, via Bermuda. They packed the ice in sawdust and
traded it on their arrival for, Caribbean rum, to returned to Boston with a
profitable cargo.

 There were a lot of offshore sailing truisms and tricks learned back in the
days of pure sail. Most have been forgotten.

With the above said, again, my humble suggestions, (Excerpts from my articles
written for Caribbean Boating over the past 32 years):

Offshore sailing, like most sailing . . . it's either the most wonderful
experience a human can experience, or the most terrifying, uncomfortable, death
defying experience a human can experience . . . little in between.

First, please read my friend and fellow small boat sailor's book on "Offshore
Sailing" by Don Street, Jr.
 Mr. Street, Jr. tells it how it is. He cuts no corners in describing the
dangers of going offshore too late in the season from northern departure ports. I
agree with Don's assessment totally, however, we are in ‘real life'
situations when it comes to going offshore on small boats.

Again, I must regress to my ancestors. It was profitable and worth the
dangers to sail engineless schooners from Maine to Barbados and the other Lesser
Antilles islands for profit. This is what they learned by trial and error:
  If you look a chart that covers the ocean route from Nova Scotia to
Trinidad you
will see that, Maine is almost on the same longitude as the Antilles. This
makes for a north-south passage with Bermuda just about in the middle of the
voyage. The Trade Winds always blow from the east. It's easy to see this makes a
broad reach sail from the north.

Over a period of 47 years I have made the passage between Maine and the
Antilles no less than 15 times skippering sailing vessels from 30' sloops to 114'
gaff-rigged topsail schooners. Every voyage was different with different
circumstances, but none were made without a lot of forethought, precise timing and
all the safety features available at the time.

For the last time, humbly, I suggest to keep the following in mind:

Read everything you can about offshore sailing (this usually comes natural if
you have already made an offshore passage for more than 10 days). Remember
Hannible's prime motivation to cross the Alps on elephants was, fear. I
personally feel that Don Street, Jr. is the best source for, Cruising the Antilles,
and how to get there.

To repeat– Maine is far more to the east than the rest of the Eastern
seaboard of the US. The arc of distance stays about the same from the Antilles. (If
you are planning on cruising Florida or the Bahamas before venturing south to
the Antilles, that's a whole dissimilar voyage with different circumstances.)
 In 1961, I began my circumnavigation around the world on a 30' Angleman,
gaff-rigged ketch. One lesson one learns very quickly when going offshore for
months at a time = "Plan the passage as not to have to go to windward."
 Once south of Bermuda, I have never had to go to windward on a voyage to the
Antilles, and from Maine, less chances of working to windward to get to
Bermuda.
 Any port of departure from the rest of the US is going to include some
windward work . . . or motoring to windward, or in calms.
 As Don Street, Jr., justifiably points out, the margin of safety diminishes
the further north one departs for the Caribbean.

 I departed Penobscot Bay, Maine last year on October 31st, on my Alber30,
#306 just after a crystal clear cold front moved in across the State and was
blowing south. I had to wait two weeks for the exact weather conditions.
 It was very cold the first three days, but only 400 miles sailing due south
we dumped, as always, into the warm, Gulf stream. In one days time we were
sailing in 65 degree sunny weather . . . the cold was behind us for the rest of
the winter.
 As my schooner sailing ancestors learned, "Wait for the right weather
conditions.  It's the safe and faster route."

In conclusion: There is no cut and dried routes and times to sail for the
West Indies. Be cautious of anyone who preaches different. There are too many
variables.

Be sure your vessel is safe.
Take experienced crew (No place to learn at high sea).
Be sure you are capable and understand as much as you can about the voyage
you undertake.

Compared it with other ventures you have undertook in your life.
Are you basically a winner?
Then, venture forth and don't look back. Everything is in front of you.

Dave Ferneding
S/Y Coober Pedy
Spice Island Marina
Grenada, W.I.