[Public-list] Two questions

Zinser, Brian BZinser at mes.nmu.edu
Wed Jul 14 08:35:23 PDT 2004

I have an older model which is powered by a Grey Marine Sea Scout and I
am having an electrical problem.  First preface that I am not a
mechanic, but am usually able to do most routine maintenance on the
engine, since it is pretty basic technology by today's standards.  I am
having problems getting a positive charge.  My first thought was that
the alternator belt was too loose.  I have put as much tension on the
belt as I can and am still not getting any indication of charge using
both the voltage gauge and a volt meter.  Is there anyway to check the
alternator without taking it off and to the shop?  Also, could I have a
bad voltage regulator or loose connection which could be causing the
problem?

On a totally unrelated matter, it has been an unusually cold and wet
summer and the gasoline/oil smell in the cabin seems stronger than
normal.  Does anyone have a good suggestion for reducing this odor?
Could the bilge be contributing to the smell?

Brian Zinser
#134 Manana