[Public-list] Two questions

sousa, stephen (ENG) sousa_stephen at emc.com
Wed Jul 14 08:46:11 PDT 2004

Brian,

Not knowing the alternator or product, I would suggest not to tension the
belt overly tight. This procedure will shorten the life of the bearings. You
can either put an ammeter in the positive line or hook up a volt meter to
the battery. The alternator generally will provide 13.8 volts when charging
and drop as the battery if fully charged. I would also check all connections
on the alternator and battery, not sure if you are in salt or fresh water.
But the environment we sail in does not lend itself to optimal conditions
for electrical gear.

If the motor is starting fine, that tells me the battery to starter circuit
is fine and would point to the alternator.

Stephen