[Public-list] Two questions

dan walker dsailormon at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 14 09:06:37 PDT 2004

brian,
when you say gas/oil, are you really saying gas? how old is your fuel tank? is it the original galvanized? if it is, remove it now.as george told me once if you smell gas it is probably a leak. from a fool who knows, find it.
dan
rascal 145
"Zinser, Brian" <BZinser at mes.nmu.edu> wrote:
I have an older model which is powered by a Grey Marine Sea Scout and I
am having an electrical problem. First preface that I am not a
mechanic, but am usually able to do most routine maintenance on the
engine, since it is pretty basic technology by today's standards. I am
having problems getting a positive charge. My first thought was that
the alternator belt was too loose. I have put as much tension on the
belt as I can and am still not getting any indication of charge using
both the voltage gauge and a volt meter. Is there anyway to check the
alternator without taking it off and to the shop? Also, could I have a
bad voltage regulator or loose connection which could be causing the
problem?

On a totally unrelated matter, it has been an unusually cold and wet
summer and the gasoline/oil smell in the cabin seems stronger than
normal. Does anyone have a good suggestion for reducing this odor?
Could the bilge be contributing to the smell?

Brian Zinser
#134 Manana