[Public-list] Impellor Hell

Manza, John LtCol manzaj at tacom.army.mil
Tue Jul 20 09:47:07 PDT 2004

I knew that I had a problem when I heard my old Gray Marine engine
making a strange whining sound when I pulled into the dock.  I figured
it was the impellor and when I checked the aft end - I saw no water
flowing out.  I figured with a spare on board there would not be too
much trouble in replacing it.  The next day I pulled the pump and
replaced the impellor without a hitch, but when I started the engine no
water flowed from the exhaust.

I spend a few hours reading up on various likely problems and attacked
them one by one.  First, Casey's book told me to look for a blockage in
the intake on the hull.  I disconnected the intake hose and with my
breath held - and with a wooden stopper in hand - opened the sea cock.
Water poured in like a fire hose, so no problem there.  I pulled apart
the pump again to ensure that the new impellor was turning and pumping
as it should.  No problem there.

Then, my old brother told me to look for a piece of impellor that may be
blocking the cooling system.  I spend a long time hurting myself and
sweating like a pig under and around the engine to disconnect the hose
that runs from the pump to the engine.  When I finally had it in my
hands I tried to blow air through it, but it was stopped up.  Sure
enough, about 3 inches into that hose, I found an impellor fin stuck the
line.  I used a coat hanger to push it out - hooked it all back up and
now the system is flowing as it should.

Just another small lesson for me.

John Manza
"Jante II" # 150