[Public-list] Engine cooling problem, sounds like my problem last year!

Dan Sternglass dans at stmktg.com
Wed Jul 21 09:59:39 PDT 2004

>On Wed, Jul 21, 2004 at 08:33:50AM -0400, Manza, John LtCol wrote:
>

>>So, after a few days of good, cool running with my new impellor, I have
>>a new engine cooling problem.  The problem is that once the engine heats
>>up, the flow of water stops.  When I first fire up the engine the flow
>>of water out of the exhaust is like a hose, then it drops to a trickle
>>and finally shuts of completely.  This process takes about 5 - 10
>>minutes.  I am guessing that it is a thermostat problem.  Any thoughts
>>or experiences from the group?

John,

Last year, I had a problem with my Atomic 4, where is would cool
perfectly under load, then after about 20 minutes the temp would
suddenly spike. I unfortunately cracked a head in the process. I was
unable to resolve it myself, or with a local (very good) mechanic, so I
called Don Moyer, the Atomic-4 guru...

He told me that he had seen this problem a few times in 20 years... the
hot water exhaust hose from the manifold to the muffler in the aft end
had delaminated on the ** inside ** of the hose, like a plugged artery.
The problem only showed up after the hose got hot. Don was exactly
right! So, if you are lacking any other explanation, and you observe the
thermostat opening and closing (the exhaust water flow is itnerrupted
and then resumes before it finally "sticks closed") that could be your
problem. It's a very esoteric problem indeed.

Before Don told me this, I had rebuilt the water pump, etched the
cooling system with muriatic acid (thinking it was rist flakes flakes in
the side plate or manifold) and replaced the cracked head. Just for good
measure, the fuel pump motor burned up in the course of troubleshooting
this last year, it was loads of fun... Cools great now.

--Dan Sternglass
Watcher of the Skies, #201, 1966, Ithaca, NY