[Public-list] NEED MORE HELP ON MY COOLING PROBLEM

Mpete53 at aol.com Mpete53 at aol.com
Wed Jul 21 09:56:55 PDT 2004

John

They say that you have a Grey marine. If it is like the Sea Scout 91 on my
farthers boat, the cooling system uses a much different route then the Atomic
4.

On our engine there is a popet valve on the after end of the cylinder head.
This valve
 is opened by the cooling water when the thermostat is closed and  sends it
to the raw water inlet. By doing this the same water is recurlated  through the
engine untill theromostat opens.

Needles to say some water is allowed pass the thermostat to cool the exaust
but how much I can't say since we converted it to fresh water cooling years
age  and our exaust is cooled from the raw water side.

So if you have this bypass, try pinching off the hose. If the flow in the
exaust returns the popet valve is stuck.

Good luck

Mark