[Public-list] NEED MORE HELP ON MY COOLING PROBLEM

Joe jtokarz499 at myacc.net
Wed Jul 21 07:02:18 PDT 2004

John: I had the same problem when I first got my Alberg 30. It has an
Atomic 4. I replaced the impeller, fixed the pinched hoses and tried to
clean out some of the debries blocking the passages. Each time I used a
magnet and coat hanger, and each time I thought I had it licked only to
have the overheating problem return again and again. I even flushed the
engine with a lite acid. But after months and months and repeated
tries--still it overheated. My symptoms were just like yours, ran well
for a few minutes then overheated.

Then one day I hooked a hose up to the raw water intake line and
essentially "blew" debries out the exhaust fitting--only to have it
overheat again. I reversed the hook up, connecting the hose to the
exhaust fitting at the engine manifold, and look out! (leave the
thermostat housing off.

I blew out about one 16oz cup full of rust flakes and metal debris, all
over the cabin. They had been trapped somewhere in the manifold in a
unreachable space. In some cases it came out as a paste. The point being
you have to reverse the waterflow maybe to get the passages clean. After
that, no more overheating.

Not too much water pressure, mind you. Just enough to get things moving.

Good luck
Joe #499
"One Less Traveled"